Have I missed something or have people forgotten how to take responsibility for themselves and where they’re currently at these days??
It certainly doesn’t fucking seem so that’s for sure! – Especially when it comes to achieving their own health and fitness goals.
My job is to help motivate and guide people through this and I enjoy doing it. Have so since I became a personal trainer back in 2005.
However unfortunately I’m seeing a very common theme amongst a lot of people wanting help that not only concerns me but more to the point fucking infuriates me to a stage now where I have no other choice but to speak about it.
One word will pretty much sum it up…
Here’s a little snapshot of some of the bullshit I have to hear day in day out from people and their inability to take responsibility for their current state of health
‘I’m too busy’
‘It’s too expensive’
‘I can’t afford it’
‘It’s too far’’
‘It’s too cold’
‘It’s too hot’
‘Its too hard’
‘It’s too late’
‘It’s too early’
‘I have too much work to do’
‘I’m not really feeling it’
‘I hurt my back’
‘I have a headache’
‘I’m going through a lot of personal stuff at the moment’
‘I’m just gonna wait until the time is right’
‘I need to check with my husband’
‘I need to check with my wife’
‘I just can’t’
If you’re reading and now thinking, ‘is he talking about me?’ – guess what, the answer is probably YES! Honestly let me break it to you all that no one gives a shit about your problems because everyone else around you is dealing with the same sort of shit you are. Myself included. The difference between people achieving results and people who don’t is some make their health and fitness a priority and others make excuses and look for ‘outs’ to not make it a priority. Simple.
These excuse makers are the people that have no consistency whatsoever in their approach to health and fitness. They train sporadically, whinge to anyone that will listen, are extremely ungrateful, take advice from amateurs that flys in the face of the professionals trying to help them, lose motivation when things don’t happen in a week, and play the blame game when they aren’t achieving their desired results. They’ll often slut themselves around to different gyms hoping that someone will put up with their bullshit and help get them to where they want to be.
Thing is, all they are actually doing is deflecting the real problem which is taking fucking responsibility for themselves.
No one can help you mate if you aren’t willing to help yourself! For fucks sake
Let me just refresh peoples memories in really simple terms on what’s required for anyone that’s keen on losing a bit of body fat. ‘That’s me’ you might say!
Point number one – Train hard consistently throughout the week. My opinion at least have the balance in your favour in terms of days on vs days off. Example – 7 days in the week means the balance in favour should at least be 4 days on, 3 days off.
Speaking of which, here’s a fact for you…
There’s 168 hours in each and every week. If you exercise for an hour, 4 days per week (not a lot of people do by the way) it equates to just over 2% of your time spent. That’s not a lot of time you might think. No shit!
This begs the question – what else are you doing with your fucking time? Taking responsibility? I fucking hope so!
Point number two – Speaking from a personal trainers point of view, I can only help you so much. If I see you 2% of the time during the week I hope you understand that a huge responsibility falls back on you the client for what happens the other 98% of the time. Are you eating well? Are you sleeping well? Stressing less? Drinking enough water? Staying active? Practicing mindfulness? Educating yourself?
I hope so because I can’t hold your fucking hand for every minute of the day!
All I can do is guide you, motivate you, encourage you, and be there whenever you need help with something but I can only do so much. YOU have to take the reigns at some stage. I’d like to think I’m always on call for my clients and always end my sessions with ‘let me know if you need anything’. If I don’t hear from you then I can only assume you have your shit sorted when you’re not with me which is great…
However if it gets back to me that all of the above things mentioned aren’t being done and you’re frustrated you aren’t making progress then I can’t help you and would much prefer to spend my energy on clients who actually give a fuck!
These guys are the ones that make me love my job and are honestly the ONLY ones I want to work with!
Actually while I have the spotlight, here’s a big shoutout to all of you that come in to IFP week in week out, listen, work hard, have fun and want to improve in every aspect of your lives without letting trivial bullshit stop you in your tracks.
You will always have my undivided attention, respect and support! You know who you are too!
The rest of you, please stop zapping my energy. The door is over there somewhere….
See you in the gym